26 March 2020 Advisory
In line with the Department of Energy’s (DOE) Memorandum issued on 18 March 2020 calling on public and private power sector corporations to defer payments of obligations and dues for thirty (30) days after the conclusion of the Enhanced Community Quarantine period on 14 April 2020, and the President’s recent pronouncements, the ERC hereby issues the following directives:
1. All Distribution Utilities (DUs) and Retail Electricity Suppliers (RES) are directed to provide a 30-day extension of payments for customer electricity bills falling due on 15 March to 14 April 2020, however, payments received during the said period are still required to be immediately remitted proportionately to the concerned entities;
2. Payment of all fees due to the generation companies, Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corporation (PSALM), National Power Corporation (NPC), National Transmission Corporation (TransCo), National Grid of the Philippines (NGCP) and the Market Operator (MO) from 15 March 2020 to 14 April 2020 are extended for thirty (30) days from 14 April 2020, without interest and penalties;
3. For the safety of the meter readers and to comply with the physical distancing directive for the containment of COVID-19, Section 3.5.4 of the Distribution Services and Open Access Rules (DSOAR) on the utilization of estimated billing may be applied, provided that the word “ESTIMATE” be clearly written on the consumer bill and that corresponding adjustments be made as soon as practicable;
4. All DUs are reminded of their obligation to procure their power requirements in the least cost manner, taking into consideration all attendant circumstances, including the approved contract’s minimum contracted capacity and fixed costs, and to ensure efficient and equitable utilization of their approved power supply contracts; and
5. All DUs are required to submit their power supply contract utilization report covering the period 15 March to 14 April 2020 not later than 30 April 2020.
Further announcements or advisories shall be released at the soonest time possible to keep the electric power industry participants posted of the latest actions of the Commission amid the nationwide state of public health emergency due to COVID-19.
Please be guided accordingly. Thank you.